[Story] Dinner Party – Part 1

A short story written by Diamondwriter…
I actually spent an hour cleaning my shoe like
my life depended on it. I had ironed my last
xmas polo and my well-starched pens trousers
the previous day. I was definitely going to get a
lot of attention tomorrow at the DLCF dinner
party.
I remember the last dinner party i attended.
The moment i heard the invitation from olu’s
mouth,i shouted ‘dinner party!’.On the day of
the dinner party,i embarked on a partial food
strike. I was ready to baptised myself with food
at the party.True to my expectations,there were
lots of food on the tables.It was like a lovefeast
but i couldn’t enter.Where everyone where
dressed smart in tux and dinner gowns,i was
wearing a three-year old school native plus i
was without a date.
This time i was ready for them.I even planned
to mix three wicked perfumes.i got a
shade;even though it was a night event and my
allstars was ever ready.I almost forgot one last
thing;a date!.. Who would that be?……
I stared long at the caption ‘DLCF DINNER
PARTY’ on the card as i contemplated on who to
take as my date.What the hell was DLCF by the
way?i never really asked Ayo what it meant cos i
didn’t think it mattered.Anyways,the issue at
hand was getting an apt date for the party.I
had a couple of persons i could call but didn’t
know who to call precisely.
There was Marrissa;my ex.Classy,stylish and a
little too much for my taste but that wouldn’t
be a problem in this case,afterall it was just a
party.
Then there was Marbel,the girl i probably would
have hated but for her beauty.She was a pest
in my life and i feared that inviting her to the
party would give her some crazy ideas and re-
ignite her silly advances,otherwise she was my
first choice.
Finally,there was Mary.pretty,gentle,intelligent
but lacked the sense of dressing where it
mattered most.To be frank,i wouldn’t want to
go with her.Imagine myself,well dressed in a
dinner party with a francesca nun.Don’t let me
say God forbid.
I picked up my phone and dialled marrissa’s
number.’Hello!…’ i heard that pretty voice i
have missed.
I swear,i almost said let’s get back together.It
must have taken me a while to find myself back
as i heard her say ‘Hello’ again,like a frustrated
person.
‘Hi marris’ i said,like the network had been
bad’can you hear me now?’
‘yeah i can’the sweetness was getting deeper.
‘what’s up?’
‘nothing much.Just haven’t heard from you for
sometime now.was wondering how you were
doin’ liar!
‘aww…that’s sweet.Thanks’she responded like
she meant it.
‘anyway,where are you at?’i asked smoothly.
‘In lag’
gangan!
Don’t know why but i felt devastated.she was
my best option and now she was more than
four hours plus lots of terrible roads away from
the university of Benin.
I had to move past my disappointment as the
party was just the next day.Now i just had one
last option;Marbel and it was certain she was
going to say yes if i let her.What other choice
do i?i had to.
‘marbel hi’ i said into my phone like someone
forced me to.
‘Johnson!’ she screamed and i almost cutoff the
call.’you remembered me today.what
happened?where are you?i want to see
you.Aww,it’s so unfortunate that am not in
Benin right now’
‘what!’
Her last words hit me like a rock and that
moment,i felt like Buhari must have felt when
the last election results were called.I was going
to go dateless?
I begged my mind not to think of it but it
disobeyed.Apparently i had to get a date and all
compasses pointed to mary! I was going on a
dinner date with a nun,damn!
Anyways beggers can’t be chosers so i had to
stick with what i got.My mind-ranting of mary’s
sense of dressing had made me ignore one
minute detail which now stood Unclad before
me.How was i going to ask her out?
I could only thing of a way to do it;text
messaging.I checked the time on my clock.It
said 9pm,good!She must have slept,i
thought.Better to send it right away and when
she wakes up the following day,she wouldn’t
want to disappoint me as i purposely clearly
stated that the party was the next day and she
was the only one i had in mind.
Just as i dropped my phone after sending the
text,i heard p-square’s danger;my ring
tone.Jeez! It was mary calling.What now?
To be continued…

Post a Comment

0 Comments

What are you Looking for?