Mother comforted me as even friends harassed me for being an albino – Onome

Albinos are among the groups most discriminated against in the society. The mere sight of an albino instills fear in some people because of the myths and misconceptions about them. And whereas some people believe albinos body parts are good for rituals, others, especially in Nigeria and Africa, think albinism is spiritual. Some say albinos do not die but simply disappear while a school of thought holds the view that they are products of atrocities committed by their parents. In some other societies, albinos are seen as products of infidelity (mothers having sexual relationship with white men).

Sadly, the situation has continued to fuel stigma and discrimination against albinos.
Meanwhile, the circumstances such as these have forced persons with albinism to recoil into their shell. In some African countries like Tanzania, Burundi and Malawi, there have been reports of the killings of albinos all because of their skin colour. But science has proved these beliefs on albinos wrong. Albinism is simply a rare non- contagious, genetically inherited condition that affects people worldwide, regardless of ethnicity or gender. Scientists say it occurs due to a significant deficit in the production of pigment melanin, resulting into white skin, light hair, and vision problems. Studies have shown that there is no difference between an albino and a non-albino apart from pigmentation. In essence, an albino can attain any height and do anything done by people with melanin. But an albino must keep away from scorching sun, insect bites and take good care of his eyes.
Today, many albinos around the world are soaring high in their chosen professions. One of them, 27- year-old Mrs. Onome Okagbare Majoro, is a graduate of mass communication from University of Lagos. Although her growing up was not easy with a white skin among other pupils in a Lagos school, her mother never allowed whatever anybody said about her to hurt her.

Onome was made to deal with so much discrimination, myth, superstition and misconceptive. Seeing herself different from other members of her class almost discouraged her as a child to continue her education. “I suffered so much humiliation,” she says.
The humiliation didn’t get any better as she grew older. According to her, friends and classmates used her complexion as a tool to attack her anytime she had problem with them.
Onome, who sees her mother as the pillar of her success, said: “I owe all to my mother. She is the pillar of my success.”
According to the mother of one, her parents were very much informed about her condition which enabled them to prepare her for the future.
“They were able to nurture me on some rules and that is why my skin is like this today. I was told not to go under the sun, that I could eat anything. I should not allow insects to bite me. They kept on correcting me. When I go out and people have negative impression about albinos, I correct them. I always read about albinism because everyday something new is coming out’.
But even with all her knowledge, there are times Onome felt like throwing in the towel.
“Yes! Living as a person with albinism has not been easy. I remember growing up; there was a day I refused to go to a school party because I told my mum that everybody will keep looking at me. I went to Corona, a very good private school, but people will keep looking at me. Even in the neighbourhood, people would sing about me and I would feel so withdrawn but my mum will tell me to love myself and that I am beautiful. That is how she helped me to build confidence.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

What are you Looking for?